Just sent the following out via BikeReg to all pre-reg'd racers. If you're planning to come out day of you'll likely find this useful too - enjoy and thanks for visiting!
Alrighty then! Hope you guys are as psyched up as we are for this shindig. The course is going to be so very nice. I rode Lippencote yesterday on my 'cross bike, it is in rippin' good condition. Can't wait to see you tomorrow morning!
Some important things and stuff - this is long, but there is a lot of good stuff here. Grab a cup of coffee and take 10 minutes to read through it all so you're better prepared for tomorrow!
1. Iron Cross Rulz! NoTubes Rulz! Hammer, WTB and Drew Wellmon Family Practice Rulz. World Cup Ski and Cycle Rulz! SRAM rulz! Cycling Dirt Rulz!
2. The Start/Finish is at Pine Grove Furnace State Park - THIS IS A DIFFERENT SPOT THAN THE LAST 8 IC's so make sure you know where you are going.
GPS coordinates for race location - 40.032215,-77.303263
Website link to Google Map - http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Pine+Grove+Furnace+state+park&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Pine+Grove+Furnace+state+park&cid=0,0,9660498898629218347&ei=0VmQTpTvNJLisQLe-LCgAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAQQ_BI
3. Parking - follow the signs. Racers park at the Day Use Area for the lake not at the stacks behind the park office. Registration is at the pavilion behind the office - you ride your bike to reg, it is 2 minutes away.
4. PA State Parks DO NOT ALLOW ALCOHOL consumption on site. DO NOT JEOPARDIZE THIS AWESOME VENUE with consumption of alcohol. The local authorities have made this very clear to us this year, help us ensure IC is welcome back for years to come.
5. No alcohol may be consumed on the party bus. I'm working on getting the Party Bussers a present to open at CP#2, but not before!
6. Party Bus - there is plenty of space for more people since we have a full on bus going around the course. Please use the bus instead of driving yourself - we don't want traffic congestion on the roads to help ensure the safety and enjoyment of the racers. $10 day of. Yep, no late fee. Just git on the bus, Gus. Don't need to discuss much.
If you've pre-reg'd for the bus pick up your ticket in the merchandise line, this is also where you register for the bus day of.
7. There is a split on the course for the 50K and the 100K - PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH DIRECTION YOU ARE TO GO. There will be big freakin' signs at the split pointing you the right way. The split is just after CP#1 and the KOM spot - you've been warned.
8. The course will be marked with black arrows on yellow background. We use the convention of (at least):
-- 1 Arrow in advance of a turn pointing in the direction of travel
-- 2 Arrows in the turn (or as close as possible)
-- 1 Confirmation arrow after the turn to let you know you're heading the correct way
We are also using
-- "W" marks that indicate "Wrong Way" -- if you are headed that way, ummm, turn around.
-- "X" and 2x Down Arrows indicating Caution/Danger that will be used primarily to indicate that you are coming to a road crossing and to keep your head up!
9. The course is open to traffic. Keep your head up and help each other stay safe out there. Obey the rules of the road.
10. The Park is open to other users, please be courteous to them
11. No Death Spiral this year...we're bummed, but this 'just short of building an Ark weather' we've had the last two months has the only Spiral-y area too wet for the weekend. Luckily the weather is going to be incredible. The rest of the course is drying fast and we still have a fun lap planned for you before you head out for the big day in the woods.
12. Drop Bags - You may put drop bags at Checkpoints 2, 3, and 4. No bags at CP#1 - that is more of an emergency stop than anything as it comes up quickly in the course. Drop bags are 1 gallon zip lock bags you'll put your number on/in at registration. Feel free to prepare this in advance at your home and add the number when you get to reg.
13. Reg opens at 7AM. It will not be open earlier. If you are pre-reg'd just get into the correct line, sign your name to the waiver and the photo release on the back, pick up your number and are good to go. Merchandise is picked up in the merchandise line.
14. Day of registration - bring those people who only now realize how much they are missing out! 100K and 50K are open!
15. Merchandise is available for purchase and ordering at registration. Check out the hoodies and beanies from Daily Screen Printing.
16. World Cup Ski and Cycle of Mechanicsburg will be providing day-of mech support at the start/finish prior to the start. SRAM will be helping World Cup out a bit and will be at various points on course. Each Checkpoint also has a small supply of tubes and light tools provided by WC for emergencies.
17. We strongly recommend carrying at least one tube, a pump/inflator, tire tools and a multi-tool (preferably also the knowledge of how to use one) with you.
We more strongly recommend switching over to NoTubes!! I've been rocking them for a few weeks on some nasty stuff and they work awesome. They are perfect for these UltraCX style events.
Be sure you also have enough fluid and food to get through the day - it is going to be pretty warm by late morning so plan appropriately.
18. Be very very nice to all the volunteers - they are giving up an incredibly nice day to help you around the course. If there is anyone coming along with you who would be interested in/willing to volunteer we're happy to add more peeps to the IC family (and we hook them up with some swag too!)
19. Please, no beer out and about at the park. Look for Larry's Tavern out on course and enjoy some there!
20. Look for post race coverage in Cycling Dirt, XXCmag.com, Cyclocross Mag and Libery Sports and more. Race day photography by Zach Repp - www.ZacharyRepp.com - prints will be available for viewing and purchase.
21. Come out and join us at the rest of the new American UltraCross Championship Events next year - www.UltraCX.com. In 2012 Iron Cross will be the UltraCX series championship event!
22. Lastly (yes, finally) look for 2012 IC reg to open in the near future and at a special rate through the end of October!
Again, big thanks to NoTubes, WTB, Hammer, World Cup Ski and Cycle, Cycling Dirt, SRAM, Dr. Drew Wellmon, Pine Grove Furnace State Park, all 8 municipalities that let us use their roads, PennDOT, DCNR, all our incredible volunteers, my wife and kids and both sets of parents and to you for coming out!
See you soon, travel safely!
Mike, Zach and the Gang!
Don't forget to find us on the Book of Faces!